The relentless war in Mindanao since the martial law days made its people live in substandard human condition. People have stored memories of chilling fears caused by roaring sound of mortar shelling and gun burst. They learned to hide and run trekking through marshy area or dense forest to save their lives during genocidal campaign in early 70’s, all-out war of 2000 and all-out peace of 2003.
Truly the experiences in the war have been emotionally and mentally opressive. It developed anguish with in the hearts and minds of the people especially the young ones whom at young age were already traumatized by the goriness of war. Thus, in their later life they grow unproductively. Some turned drug addicts and engaged in different forms of illegal activities. Others tread the path of their forbears who took arms as means to seek justice against the government whom they thought has deprived them of ideal life.
Having the above realities, the UNITED YOUTH FOR PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT (UNYPAD) was born to help alleviate the plight of its people in Mindanao and other places especially those marginalized sectors of the society. The Youths behind this organization are equipped with willingness and dedication to give their service at their utmost capacities.
These Youths were originally peace advocates who realized that economic prosperity is essential element of peaceful and just governance. They believed that sustainable development should start from the grass-roots level. They also hope that through their comprehensive programs and services they can contribute to shape a brighter future and peaceful horizon for their people especially fellow Mindanaons.
United Youth for Peace and Development, Inc. is registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) with SEC registration number S.E.C. Reg. No.: CN200428294
The UNYPAD envisions to be an excellent youth development center that works for the attainment of a prosperous and peaceful society and champions just and holistic approach to developments.
To produce competent, effective and efficient young leaders that will meaningfully render spiritual, political and socio-economic services to the society.
To mobilize young individuals and equip them with essential knowledge, skills and appropriate technologies so as to become agents of society that will promote unity and solidarity, transparency and accountability in governance.
- To capacitate youth to become productive, effective and efficient leaders and managers, and expert in peace building, which includes conflict resolution and transformation, and development work;
- To render post-conflict services on social, economic and cultural aspect in the conflict-affected areas and other depressed communities;
- To raise awareness in preserving and protecting environment and natural resources;
- To initiate and facilitate relief, rehabilitation and development activities in disaster prone areas;
- To encourage women’s participation in nation-building and promote gender consciousness;
- To promote human rights as foundation for building a peaceful society;
- To promote cultural sensitivity and spiritual consciousness between and among members of the organization and communities; and
- To establish data base on socio-economic, political and cultural profiles of the communities.